Wednesday, March 20, 2013

A Day in the Life

Imagine that you could follow me around for a day in Spain, (scary... I know) but in this post I'm going to discuss a typical day in the life of yours truly, so you can get a better feel of my daily encounters in Sevilla :)

Every morning before school, I have a pretty normal routine - I wake up, eat breakfast, and take a shower (if I have time, but food is usually my first priority since we don't eat lunch until mid-afternoon!) When I'm finally ready to leave the house, as most of you may know, I'm typically running about 3-5 minutes late, so I start on my "light jog" to the metro as I like to call it. Every Monday & Wednesday, I meet the metro at 11:32, and every Tuesday & Thursday, I meet the metro at 8:32 (or try to at least). If by some chance my jog wasn't fast enough that morning, I get stuck taking the next metro which comes anywhere from 4-8 minutes later. Depending on which metro I'm able to catch is how I decide whether I can leisurely walk to class or have to continue my light jog/sprint once I finally arrive to school :)

I have two classes each day, Monday through Thursday. On Mondays & Wednesdays, I study the historical ties between the U.S. and Spain, followed by my Intercultural Communications class that afternoon. On Tuesdays & Thursdays, I have Advanced Spanish Conversation bright and early at 9am, followed by Spanish Pragmatics directly afterwards.

Mondays & Wednesdays, my host mom packs a salad or a sandwich for me to take to school to eat in between my classes since I have a two and a half hour break. I like to take that time to catch up on my homework, my blogs, or chat with my amigos. I'm not finished until 5:20, which at that time I head toward the metro and arrive home around 6:00.

I always dread waking up so early on Tuesdays & Thursdays, but the nice thing is that I'm done with class by 11:50, so I have the entire day to myself afterward. Most days I go home and relax awhile before lunch, and I usually spend a part of the afternoon taking a siesta... in other words, I pass out for a solid 2-3 hours.

Around 5 or 6 everyday, I take time for myself. I like to go outside for a walk as most of the stores and cafés are opening back up, go to the gym, or go out to do a little shopping. There are some great restaurants and tapas bars nearby that sometimes we'll visit to hold us over until we eat our late dinner. One of my favorite places to go is down by the river near the city center because it is absolutely beautiful there! The way of life in Spain is so much more relaxed, and everyone just enjoys the evenings at their leisure (which is so refreshing to not be on a time schedule!)

By 8:30-9, I'm usually heading back to Nervión, the neighborhood where I live, to see what kind of dinner our host mom, Encarna, has prepared. After dinner, I usually work on homework, hang out with Katie, or chat with Encarna at the house. Sometimes we'll go back out to experience the night life of Sevilla, but often times, we're so tired after a long day that we like to just relax in the comfort of our own room.

And there you have it... the super exciting, never-a-dull-moment, day in the life of none other, than me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment