Sunday, March 3, 2013

The Good and the Bad

During a semester abroad, we experience a vast range of emotions. One of the times that caused me the most frustration was the day that I could not print out a homework assignment that was due for my class that afternoon. I had bought a printing card through the school’s copísteria and was planning on printing out my assignment that I had completed days in advance in between class on that Monday. I have a long two and a half hour break with more than enough time to get some lunch and work on homework, so rather than spending more money and printing my homework out at a different copísteria in my neighborhood, I decided to wait until I was at school to print. After lunch when Monday rolled around, I worked on other homework in the library and went to print off my materials about 45 minutes before the class started. First I tried within the library and quickly realized that none of the printers were working so I went to a different building that I knew worked, as I had printed there previously. I ended up going through a string of four or five totally different buildings before someone finally had the courtesy to tell me that the copísteria was on strike, and I would not be able to print at school that day. By this time, I had only 5-10 minutes before my class started, and I knew that there was no way I could take the metro elsewhere and return in time for my class. I had already had a stressful week, and this being the icing on the cake, I had an emotional breakdown right in the middle of the outdoor hallways at UPO. I was so upset and exhausted that I decided not to even go to my class and just go home for the day. I didn’t want to go to class without an assignment, so I simply refused to go. This was definitely one of the most frustrating experiences that I’ve had since I’ve been in Sevilla mainly because homework assignments were worth a lot of points since there are so few in that particular class. Anyway, I decided to print out the homework the following day and took it along with me to class on Wednesday. Luckily enough for me, my professor saw my frustration when she asked about what had happened on Monday, and she accepted my homework that day, without any problem. My week was finally looking up!

Although I’ve had several moments of frustration, I’ve equally had many days of laughter and positive emotions as well. One of the best times I’ve had since I’ve been in Sevilla didn’t have any significance other than it was just a really good day. Katie, Dan, and I decided to explore the city one Sunday afternoon and we walked down along the river, taking pictures and enjoying the afternoon sun. It was so relaxing just to walk around the city without being on any particular time schedule or having other commitments. We stopped at a café, got a drink, and sat for hours just talking about anything and everything. We engaged in conversation that had me laughing harder than I may ever have before. There haven’t really been any specific instances that I remember being funnier than the other days, but I definitely believe that there has been something good to come out of everyday, whether it’s something on a larger scale like flying to London or something so simple as enjoying a coffee in the afternoon with friends. It’s been quite the emotional roller coaster so far, but I’m sure that my next few months will be just as exciting as the days that have already passed.

No comments:

Post a Comment